Thursday, April 15, 2010

Afraid

When I was a child I would wake up in the middle of the night afraid, whither it was from a storm or a bad dream it did not matter, I would console myself with scripture.  This kind of consoling is found in Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.  I am not saying that being afraid is a sin, there is a time to be afraid, and at those times being afraid is healthy and good.  I had two main verses that I would console myself with by repeating them over and over until I fell asleep.  These two verses are.  Psalms 56:3  What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. and Proverbs 3:25a  Be not afraid of sudden fear...  These two verses brought me the comfort I needed to get back to sleep.

Such comfort can be found throughout the Bible, for all different aspects of our lives.  If we read the Bible, we can find them, and then if we memorize them we can meditate on them when the time comes.  We will never know when those times will come, whether it will be while awakened in the middle of the night, or early in the morning, or even  while driving home from work.  God's word needs to be hidden in our hearts so we can use it in time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment